Decorating cupcakes with buttercream icing can be a quick and very effective way to make your cupcakes look amazing - but if you're new to the world of cupcakes, where do you begin?
We have put together a few tip, ideas ans techniques to help get you started in the right direction.
First of all you need to make your icing. There are many buttercream icing recipes available online and in cookbooks, plus you can also buy either premade icing or buttercream icing mix like this Wilton brand butterceam icing mix.
The main things to remember are:
- Because of the butter element, heat can soften buttercream icing significantly no matter how stiff it was to start with. Particularly if you are piping decorations you will need to keep this in mind and possibly prepare your icing ahead of time.
- If you are piping decorations onto your cupcakes, you will want the buttercream icing to be fairly stiff. As a general rule the more icing sugar or icing mix you add, the stiffer the consistency will be.
- Once you have made and coloured your icing, set your mixer on the lowest setting possible and mix it for a couple of minutes. This will get rid of any air bubbles that may have found their way in. You don't want to be piping a masterpiece only to have a silly air bubble ruin your creation!
- Icing made with butter or margarine can make it look creamy coloured instead of white. White White Icing colour is is a quick an easy way to whiten icing or lighten coloured icing.
- When colouring icing, make sure you mix enough for all your decorating needs. It is very hard to match exact colours if a second batch is needed.
This guide shows the Wilton icing tips and the effect they create when used. The designs can be varied based on the pressure used when piping, the speed used when piping and the direction/s used when piping. You can click on the images to enlarge them.
This guide shows the icing tips being used and possible effects to help you decide on a possible design. As you can see the options are endless!
If you are really new to decorating cupcakes these resources are invaluable:
- Cake Decorating Icing Set: This set is a must have for beginners, or if you like try have a practice run before you start. This set comes with an easel and 20 colour pattern sheets which slide under a vinyl overlay.
- Wilton Cupcakes! Book: This book is just amazing! There are 320 fantastic designs to choose from, cupcake filler ideas, themed galleries, 'must-try recipes', tips and techniques - it's enough to make you mouth water with excitement!
- www.shindigs.com.au : Shindigs have a fantastic range of cake and cupcake decorating supplies that will make you want to have your cake and eat it too! From pre-made buttercream icing and fondant, to icing tips and decorating bags, shaped and novelty cake tins, cupcakes cases and baking cups to cute cupcake carry cases - their range will make your mouth water! Be sure to check out Shindigs' cake decorating supplies today!
- Pinterest: And if that is still not enough for you, Shindigs are also on Pinterest! Gathering cake and cupcakes decorating ideas from near and far, you'll never want to leave the kitchen! (Well...maybe just to eat a cupcake or two).